Re: Splash Pages [was Front Pages]

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Aug 1998 18:25:07 -0700
 To:  "Ray" <exile(at)stones.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:03 p.m. 08/28/98 -0400, Ray wrote:
>When you read advice on optimizing your site for search engines, you often
>see the suggestion to create a splash page.  The reason is that you have two
>goals in mind: first, to create a page that serves as a sort of table of
>contents and/or introduction to the rest of the site, and second, to design
>a page that will appear near the top of the results when net surfers conduct
>searches for keywords that pertain to your site.

Where have you read -this- advice?  I hear far more about META
tags than I do anything about making splash pages.

Also you need to keep in mind that many of your hits from search
engine users will _not_ go to your main page, your top page, your
splash page, or anywhere else -- users can enter most web sites
at _any_ location within your directory tree, and often they'll
come in at a "middle" page, not because of any splash pages or
even META tags, but just because you have the _content_ that the
searcher is looking for, on that page.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California