Re: Ten Second Delays

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Tue, 01 Sep 1998 18:07:35 -0700
 To:  pat.crawford(at)which.net
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:52 a.m. 09/02/98 +0100, Pat Crawford wrote:
>Of course, we were all playing at Devil's Advocate. Nobody
>would seriously think of deploying Mosaic 2.11 as a tool for searching
>out all the hottest sites on the 'Net .... or am I alone in that
>opinion?

It's hard to say.  In the future, you may indeed see intelligent
agents that search pages for and _actively_ seek out the hottest
sites (or whatever your personal search criteria are); these would
need some way to analyze a page and determine if it matches what
you're looking for.

For this reason, universal accessibility is important; you can
assume that these agents won't be graphically based but rather run
some kind of intelligent HTML-parser.  This means it's important to
provide as much valid information as you can, structurally and
semantically, inside your HTML pages.

The benefits for doing so include better cross-browser compatability,
better accessibility for disabled/blind users, increased visibility
to search engines, and adaptability for non-traditional internet
appliances such as TVs, watches, or cars -- in addition to use by
intelligent user agents.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California