Re: professionalism and wysiwyg

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Fri, 09 Oct 1998 13:52:14 -0700
 To:  "Mike Burks" <mburks952(at)worldnet.att.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:33 p.m. 10/09/98 -0400, Mike Burks wrote:
>I would think that most large sites use templates of one sort or another, if
>the template validates one would think most of the pages would also.   Just
>my opinion..

Mike, this is my understanding as well.  Nearly all of the major
sites are database generated, and it's not that difficult to make
a generated website fit a template.  (Which reminds me that I need
to find time to review the Virtual Dog Show scripts...)

The HWG does exactly that -- using our default template page, it's
_very_ hard for someone who's familiar with HTML to make an
invalid page (that isn't otherwise broken, e.g., by leaving
off a closing tag).

The amount of work necessary to make a valid template is really not
that much greater than that which is needed to make an invalid one.
And the benefits are great -- better interoperability, increased
accessibility, ease of maintainence, and overall better design.

There's no reason that large sites can't generate valid HTML.
They're only broken now because the programmers are lazy,
negligent, ignorant, or misinformed.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California