Re: Mr. Wilson's Rotolok Example

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Sun, 11 Oct 1998 13:00:58 -0700
 To:  MIchael Channing wilson <webmaster(at)lucidmind.com>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:03 p.m. 10/11/98 -0400, MIchael Channing wilson wrote:
>Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>> Okay, I took a look at it, and validated it.
>> The validation errors can be seen at:
>> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rotolok.com%2F
>Which I stated in the previous post as being very minor errors. Did it
>cause a problem in you browsers?

It didn't look boring.

But the "feature" you claim didn't happen.

>Well I certainly can, and my client did when I first presented him with
>the page like you have it here. The first words from his mouth were -
>"can you make the little gap between the main image and the right and
>top of the screen disappear? It would make it look more like our
>letterhead and brochure."
>So I did...

No, you didn't.  You made it disappear on YOUR browser.  It's still
there on mine.

Basically, you hoodwinked him.  You provided him with a quick fix
that works on a small subset of broken browsers and happily told
him the problem was solved, but really it relies on the browser
being used not following any published standard.

How is this meeting the needs of your client?  Is he aware that
the solution is "just on my computer" rather than "on all non-
broken computers"?

>  (In fact, on one browser, my version actually
>> works better than yours.)
>How so? What did you do other than change the body tag, which has no
>bearing on functionality, except maybe the link color? What browser and
>version are you referring to?

Opera 3.5 -- your version doesn't remove the borders.  Mine does.
Mine's in line with the specs -- yours isn't -- which means it's
pure luck that yours works on any browsers at all.

>You have left the gaps in place. Get rid of them without using CSS and
>make it validate, then you can brag. Anyone who can read could have made
>it validate, but not without changing it from it's original appearance.

Why do you add "without using CSS"?  CSS is exactly for presentational
elements like this, HTML is not.  I fear you don't understand styles
and web design very well if your argument is that CSS is the wrong
way to do presentational layout and non-standard proprietary HTML
extensions are correct.

Luckily, there's still time to sign up for my online CSS class, if
you're quick.  http://www.hwg.org/services/classes/

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California