RE: professionalism and wysiwyg

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Sun, 11 Oct 1998 18:01:23 -0700
 To:  "Demitrius" <iam(at)demitrius.com>
 Cc:  "Ann Navarro" <ann(at)webgeek.com>, "MIchael Channing wilson" <webmaster(at)lucidmind.com>, <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:08 a.m. 10/10/98 -0700, Demitrius wrote:
>I'm the first to admit that I use a WYSIWYG editor, FP98, that I don't know
>HTML as well as I could and that I make my living (a handsome one,
>thankyouverymuch) creating websites for companies as a one man web shop. But
>all this talk about WYSIWYG is rather moot; to wit, these editors *will* get
>better over time. The new FP2000 is said to conform to HTML 4 far better
>than previous versions because so many users complained that "my web page
>doesn't look the same in most browsers."

Actually, I agree, WYSIWYG editors aren't bad tools.  The problem
arises when they're used as a crutch; they're only something to
worry about if you don't know the basics behind the code it's
generating.

If you do know HTML, there's not reason not to automate it.  You
just have to be careful, if you're new, that by using such a
tool that you don't pick up bad habits.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California