Re: Lining up with the decimal point

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Sat, 21 Nov 1998 21:14:30 -0800
 To:  "Chris Wilson" <chris(at)cjetech.co.uk>
 Cc:  "*HWG-Theory" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:11 a.m. 11/22/98 -0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
>I am doing a technical site for a client.  I showed him the first draft and
>he says that he wants the tabled information lining up by decimal points.
>Has anyone any ideas how I would go about this?

Theoretically, you should be able to use table alignments as
defined in HTML 4.0:

  <TD ALIGN="char" CHAR=".">
    2.32
  </TD>
  <TD ALIGN="char" CHAR=".">
    141.3
  </TD>

(Alternately, use <COL ALIGN="char" CHAR="."> for columnar
definitions.)

This means "align it according to the location of a specific
character, and that character will be a period".

Of course, practically speaking, this (like many really cool
HTML 4.0 innovations) is ill-supported by current browsers.
I have no knowledge of any browsers which will do this.

>I can only think of using <xmp> or <pre> or similar, but these tend to
>render funny in some browsers.

Never use XMP, it's so deprecated that it's effectively fallen out
of the bottom of the HTML spec -- because the original idea was
pretty "broken".

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California