Re: underlined links

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Mon, 07 Dec 1998 20:42:23 -0800
 To:  Pam Shorey <palema(at)downcity.net>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:58 p.m. 12/07/98 -0500, Pam Shorey wrote:
>I have a style question. What accounts for the apparent
>trend to remove underlining from links? Isn't this rather
>like removing quotes from a quotation - ie, removing a
>customary visual cue?

Sometimes it's easier to read a list of links if they're
not all underlined.  A menu-style list is more obviously
something to click on (especially if a different color),
so the underlines may not be necessary.  Links embedded
in text, however, may not be so obvious.

So, basically it's asthetics, plus the fact that extreme
cases of underlining can make pages harder to use, not
easier.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California