RE: Front Page [Splash Page]

by Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)visions.simplenet.com>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:43:58 -0500
 To:  hwg-theory(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:10 AM 8/28/98 -0400, Everhart, Michael C. wrote:

>Virginia Blalock wrote :
>To me, there is no real reason to put a large graphic like
>this when there is no use for it other than to look at it. This is one
>of my small pet peeves. I would rather just get to the material. I am
>willing to be educated if there is a valid reason why this is done.

Michael:

>I think I know what you are saying Virginia... but what is the
>purpose of any graphic if not to look at?  Navigation, illustration, you
>say?  Well unless you are able to look at these "graphic aids", they
>aren't much use.  If there wasn't some appeal to most of us in having an
>attractively designed page, not only would we not employ such devices,
>we wouldn't even have to worry about a pleasing layout of an all text
>page, or using anything but a single typeface on all pages/sites, etc.

I agree graphics add to web sites. I like nice graphical sites. The front
door/splash page with only a graphic which serves no other purpose than
just to look at is what I am talking about. I would rather look at nice
graphics once I actually get to the content of the site. I just am not
enamored of waiting for a graphic to load just for the heck of it. I wait
for graphics to load by themselves all of the time, but then I choose to do
so. I go to a lot of sites with photos so I don't mind the wait if I know
that is what I am going to do.

>	As an example, a personal goal of mine is to eventually be able
>to do a site to promote my illustration.  Of course I will want to
>convey some information on this site, but primarily it will be *visual*
>information.  A valid form of information I might add.  Different types
>of information appeal to different types of people, and suit different
>projects, *and* might suit different approaches to the same project.

This is completely different than what I am talking about. A site like
yours is graphics intensive by nature and done right, one of those splash
pages with just a graphic to get into the site might actually work.

>	That said, I should point out that splash screens tend to annoy
>me too, unless they are very well done, and (as Chuck McGee, Jr. noted)
>are set to refresh.  Isn't that ironic ;-)

You know, I am not all that big on re-freshes. They are done wrong to
often(like frames) that they can be a pain to me at times.