Re: Front Pages

by Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)visions.simplenet.com>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Aug 1998 00:05:43 -0500
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:45 PM 8/28/98 -0400, MIchael Channing wilson wrote:

>Please read my reply before telling what to assume. I stated below that
>"a 35k graphic should only
>take about 10 seconds to download on a 28.8 modem at a good connection."
>I can't help it if a person is still using a 2400 modem. I compress my
>graphics for very quick download times. I average about 15 seconds or
>less per page with pleasing graphics. At the rate you guys are going
>every browser company should just hang up creating a new version,
>Macromedia should stop research and production of shockwave and flash,
>and we should all just slap text on the pages we create. I am a strong
>advocate of "accessible site design" so I am very aware of the issues
>here. I am also aware that I can't create a site that takes 2 minuets to
>download on a T-1 and hope to keep viewers happy. I have generated so
>much business from my site that I have had to hire outside help to get
>it all done. If I lost a few customers I regret it, however that is the
>nature of business. I have tried to create a site that is accessible and
>quick, visually pleasing and informative, as well as being an example of
>what you can do with the web. I have not even come close to implimenting
>some of the things I work with on our T-1 line clients. Think less
>narrow people.

My point was about making assumptions and nothing else. I try and strike a
middle ground. I won't design thinking everyone has a T1 line and the
latest and greatest and I also don't worry too much about those with 2400
baud modems, either. You have to try and satisfy the most audience you can.
You won't get a page that is perfect for everyone, so there is little use
worrying about that.

The content is king to me and if that can be seen, then all is well. I like
nice layout, too. In fact, I usually think about that first after I have
the general content down in my mind. I probably worry more about AOLers
than others because I have lots of them coming to my pages. Someone else
may cater more to Web Tvers but I don't worry about them since few visit me.

It isn't thinking narrow to consider as many members of a potential
audience as you can while not being a total slave to them. Strike the best
balance. That is all any of us can do.