Re: Fw: Front Pages

by Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)visions.simplenet.com>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Aug 1998 21:52:01 -0500
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:55 PM 8/29/98 -0700, Ann Navarro wrote:

>One of the better approaches is to both educate and learn from your client
>at the same time, BEFORE you start talking about bells and whistles. Find
>out what their expectations are. Find out who their audience is. If their
>audience is legitimately "anybody", as some retailers might be, then the
>bar for accessibility is rather high. If it's "13-21 year old boys who love
>video games and own high end computers", the bar is considerably lower.
>
>Serving the client goes far beyond "so, what do you want on your web site?"

Excellent point. I was going to make this point earlier, but could not put
it into words. You did nicely. You never will please everybody. I have a
"high end computer," yet I would rather not see tons of bells and whistles
and tons of Java and animated gifs. The fact that my computer can handle
lots of them is irrelevant to the fact that I am not fond of this sort of
design.

However, the 13 year old boy in your example usually does not mind this
sort of thing. I can tell from their web site designs<g>.