Re: Pop up windows

by Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)visions.simplenet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 08 Sep 1998 17:54:17 -0500
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:49 PM 9/8/98 -0500, Suzanne Corcorran wrote:(citing another post)

>Recently there has been a thread in the basics list that I thought would be
>better suited for theory.  This is the message that spurred me into typing
>
>"It would be interesting to know how *popular* pop-up windows are with web
>surfers.  I find them to be almost as intrusive as music, especially when
>the pop-up comes back more than once while I'm at a site, like a fly that
>refuses to die with the first swing of my swatter.  I would much rather see
>a banner ad any day.  I realize you didn't ask for *opinions* but I've
>wondered for some time if I'm the only one who dislikes them.  ;)

I hate pop-up windows most of the time. The vast majority are ads of some
sort. I don't mind banners at all as long as they don't overtake a page. I
usually don't give the pop-ups a chance to load all of the way and as a
result miss the thing the people are trying to advertise.  Those at
Geocities that won't die are particularly annoying.

I know pop-ups do serve other purposes and sometimes I see the point(like
pop-ups to show the results of a vote I just added and seeing the results)
but overall they are annoying.

I usually don't mind music too much as long as they have something to do
with the site and I can TURN THEM OFF! The thing I hate is when there is no
way for visitors to turn off the music. I never understood why people put
music on that has nothing to do with the content of their site just for the
heck of it.