Re: Web Design

by Jone Johnson <jj(at)pbat.com>

 Date:  Mon, 07 Dec 1998 08:41:50 -0500
 To:  hwg-theory(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:19 AM 12/2/98 -0500, P.A. Gantt wrote:
>Also hunt up UltraEdit. It is a really powerful
>editor. Shareware but reasonable.

I'll second this one.  UltraEdit's major features that make it an excellent
aide for HTML editing (aside from excellent reliability and ease of use)
are the ability to handle many open files at once, the ability to handle
very long files (as someone doing web sites on research topics, I'm often
handling large text files), the ability to convert from UNIX to DOS and
vice versa and MAC to DOS and DOS to MAC, and the ability to make a change
in all the files in a subdirectory (handy when you need to make "universal"
changes in your project).  It's shareware so you can try it to see if you
like it.

Re my own work: I do use FrontPage and NetObjects Fusion and other WYSIWYG
products on some sites.  Why?  Because sometimes (as with last week), I am
putting up an entire website within a few hours to meet a particular need.
I maintain a lot of sites with regular changes, and those sites that are
done with site managers go much more quickly than ones which I've
hand-coded.  Especially when the changes involved a reorganization of the
structure and/or a design change!

When I've done commercial sites in my consulting work, I've often composed
them initially in a web site manager / WYSIWYG product, then used HomeSite
(which I see as an enhanced text editor) and UltraEdit to fine-tune and
complete the work, and to maintain it over time.

J Johnson   jj(at)pbat.com
Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice.