Re: Estimating Time

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:19:37 -0700
 To:  "Brian Paulson" <webmaster(at)chieftain.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:33 AM 8/23/1999 , Brian Paulson wrote:
>Question for all of you on how you estimate the time for your projects? Such
>as 8 hours for graphic design 10 hours for programming and such. up to this
>point we have been charging by the page not the hour. Now We are starting to
>get busy doing redesign's and hosting transfers which needs to be charged by
>the hour. To bid on these jobs we need some way of estimating it accurately.

No offense, but this strikes me as an odd question.  If you know
enough about your chosen line of work to get paid for doing it,
shouldn't you know enough to estimate how long it would take you
to do it?

When you have been doing other jobs "up to this point" have you
ever done any normal business job tracking on your projects to see
how your resources are being spent?

If not, you may want to consider getting some expert business
advice, perhaps from an outside consultant or a good book about
running your own business.

I suggest that followups be directed to the HWG-Business list, as
people there have lots of good business advice to offer.

--
Kynn Bartlett                                    mailto:kynn(at)hwg.org