Re: Tables

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sun, 30 Apr 2000 13:29:47 +1000
 To:  "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>,
"Theory [HWG]" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 16:41 29/04/00 +0530, Abhay S. Kushwaha wrote:
>1. Any known limits to no. of rows a table can have in diff browsers?
>    (or is this OT?)

Yes - as few as possible :-)

Most browsers will insist on downloading the entire TABLE structure before
displaying the content - once you have gone past one screen-full of
information there is little to be gained (apart from formatting) in
continuing the same TABLE.  Give the user something immediately and
download what is below at leisure.

>2. Any known limits to level of nesting tables in diff browsers?
>    (what about this one being OT? hehehe)

No - I think it's more a case of memory requirements of individual
computers - beyond the scope of browsers (although some may manage that
memory better).

>3. a. Now that soooper doooper resolutions are in play, should the
>       alignment of our cheeky 600p wide table be on the left or
>       center?
>    b. What about the 760p wide table?
>    c. Pros and cons of doing so?

I think the rollout (?) of wireless networks will radically redifine the
way we think about page design.  There should be a BIG shift towards
content with templates for device-specific access.  Most of the technology
is still too immature at present, but when you compare the number of
computers per capita with the number of mobile phones per capita
(particularly in Australia) and add the $$$ of ecommerce into the equation
it isn't hard to see where things are headed.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au