Re: how many special characters to use?

by "D.M. Rotach" <dmr22(at)cornell.edu>

 Date:  Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:43:08 -0400
 To:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:00 PM 9/22/2000, you wrote:
>{snip}
>
>and I'm thinking I could spend a lot of time changing all those
>punctuations . . . to their ASCII code!
>
>Any thoughts? Some, most, all -
>
>  - l i s a

Hi!

I usually figure that anything below ASCII 127, which is up to and
including the tilde, and can be produced just with the keyboard, is fine by
itself.  This includes most punctuation, parentheses, plain quotes, plain
dashes, etc.

If the author insists on having stuff like left and right quotes, or n- and
m-dashes, then those can be replaced with macros, depending on your editing
software.

But the majority of non-alpha characters should be fine the way they are.

dani