Re: Where is the web going, graphically?

by WebProgrmr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Sat, 12 Feb 2000 16:12:06 EST
 To:  hgquinn(at)attglobal.net,
hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Are you kidding???  I don't see the last days of the web at all.  Perhaps the
web as we know it will not exist in the next ten years.  Instead, it will
include motion graphics and touch screen navigation.  You'll start to see
application specific appliances that will become the norm.  PCs are not going
to be the only thing on the web in the coming ten years.  For example, cell
phones and other PDAs are becoming commonplace.  Eventually, your blender
will be able to get a functionality upgrade by hooking up to the web and
downloading the firmware.  Imagine going from ten speeds, to 50... and then
add cycles of operation.  Your washing machine could now offer the latest and
cleanest washing methods by altering how long the rinse cycle is... and all
of that is changed by instruction given by the software in the machines brain.

As for graphic design, that's always going to be a function of marketing and
branding.  Presentation of product either in it's packaging, it's casing,
it's surroundings (like in a store) or how it functions if there's a
graphical interface.

In short, have no fear, the web isn't going away anytime soon.  It's instead
going to mutate into something more wonderful than it is already.

And as for outgrowing old standards and technology.. fortunately, nothing has
been established so steadfast into an unchangable standard that it's going to
stop growing.

XML for example is the latest greatest thing... and the standards people are
hard at work to make it a reality.  In fact, I almost wonder when they're
going to slow down!!  <sigh>

As long as there are the Microsofts and Netscapes, there will always be a
delivery vehicle to advancing technology with a simple free upgrade of your
web browser.

++Dan