Re: Mac vs. PC

by Susan Pinochet <pinochet(at)polaris.net>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:33:45 -0500
 To:  apl(at)netusa.net,
HWG THEORY <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 7.05 am -0500 1998.01.03, Alan Loesberg wrote:
>Can anyone explain why, and provide advice regarding how to design on a
>Mac so your images do not disappear in gloom on a PC?

Macs have "corrected" gamma; PC's do not. Go to your monitors control
panel; press the "options" button, and change to "uncorrected gamma." This
will give a pretty good idea what your page's color will look like on a PC.
But remember that the brightness and contrast settings of individual
monitors affect color too; so try to set them in about the middle to see
what "most" people (on similar setups) will see.

Choosing colors that are in the 216 palette, aren't too dark on a PC, and
aren't too light or bright on a Mac is an interesting challenge to say the
least. I find most sites on the net quite bright, and I am guessing that PC
users are designing for their gamma without thinking about what Mac users
are seeing. Or perhaps they don't know. Do PC users have any mechanism
similar to the above for seeing what Mac users see?

-- Susan Pinochet <pinochet(at)polaris.net>
   http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/5876/