Re: Javascript Question

by Robert Adams <rnadams(at)fix.net>

 Date:  Sun, 21 Dec 1997 22:48:34 -0800
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 2:28 PM -0800 12/19/97, you wrote:

> Thanks for all the advice. Right now we have these browser standards
> throughout the company:
>
> IE 3.0 on all PCs, Netscape 4.0 on all UNIX. Only advanced users (mostly
> the engineers) will configure their systems differently than would other
> users, and their configurations aren't supposed to be supported. All I
> was asking was how far back in IE and NS does javascript go ....
>
> Could I possibly get a nice straightforward answer instead of a long
> winded argument I've heard tons of times before? Please!? (Pretty please
> with whipped cream and cherries on top?) :-)

Yes, you may:

NS 2 and IE 3 are the earliest implementation of JavaScript. IE 3 and NS 4
on the specified platforms both support JavaScript. However, they both
support different _versons_ of JavaScript. Check out the Microsoft web
site--they will probably have something there describing what IE 3's flavor
of JS can do, and chances are that if IE 3 can do it, NS 4 can too (it's a
later version)!

And as always, test your pages in BOTH browsers whenever possible!

HTH,

 Robert Adams
<rnadams(at)fix.net>