Re: client updating pages daily

by "Robin S. Socha" <r.socha(at)control-risks.de>

 Date:  24 Jun 1998 20:43:39 +0200
 To:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
* Sheila & Nick Ruth <sruth(at)abs.net> writes:

That "from:" line isn't RFC compliant, BTW...

[...]
> Anyway, to add comments of a constructive nature, I use Cold Fusion
> and I highly recommend it. I've set up forms for updating my database
> online and it's pretty easy to do. You do have to know SQL but you
> can learn enough basic SQL from a book to do what you want to do.

> The only drawback is that I am using a MS Access database and it
> needs to be compacted fairly often. There doesn't seem to be any way
> to do this through Cold Fusion, so I have to do it manually. MS
> Access databases are easy to set up, but if you are going to use
> one, you need to plan for how you will compact it.
[...]

Well... here we go again. MS Access is not a database. It may be a
rapid development tool for database frontends, but it certainly isn't
a database. I've re-checked the critique for Adabas, and it will do
just what you want: it can communicate with Access, and it has web
frontends. It's an industrial strength SQL database that performs
about as well as Informix and costs virtually nothing. And yes, it
will "run" under NT. But who uses NT for mission critical applications
these days?

Robin

--
Robin S. Socha M.A.
Oxymoron of the decade: Mircosoft Works.