RE: Universal Accessibility

by "Michael R. Burks" <mburks952(at)worldnet.att.net>

 Date:  Sat, 28 Jul 2001 08:45:27 -0400
 To:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
All,

lets talk about cost:

In my view the real customer is the user of the site.  If they cannot get
the information they seek then they will go elsewhere.  That is a high cost.
I would also suggest that organizations that continue to behave in this
manner may have other major problems not related to accessibility.  So
beware....

Usability and Accessibility go hand in hand.  My experience shows me that
much of this can be intergrated into the design with no cost.  It does not
have to even be mentioned in many cases.

If you want to know more about accessibility and usability I suggest the
following two sites:

Usability - www.useit.com
Accessibility http://aware.hwg.org

Granted many of the organizations we develop sites for cringe when you
mention these things.  If you know what you are doing in many cases you will
not even have to mention them.  And, I might add, usable and accessible do
not equal "uncool" <smile>.  Take a look at www.ncgov.com  The price to make
this site accessible from the beginning was virtually nil.

Take note of the awards it has won, and also note, they do not mention
accessiblity.  The site is however quite accessible.

Interesting yes?

Sincerely,

Mike Burks
Webmaster and Public Information Officer
www.icdri.org