Valid pages in Cold Fusion? (Was Re:Doc Type Declarations)

by "Eric Hoffman" <EHoffman(at)meagher.com>

 Date:  Tue, 15 Sep 1998 15:51:59 -0500
 To:  fischer(at)email.unc.edu
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Ryan and list,
I guess my thought process was along the lines of an offline validator =
which checks the pages before I publish them.....So, yes, as it hits the =
browser, after the Fusion server plugs in the data and works its magic, it =
is valid HTML...so in the true scope of things I guess I will be fine.  =
But thanks for putting up my sleep deprived ramblings!

Eric J Hoffman
Crabby Director of Internet Initiatives
Meagher & Geer, PLLP

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Eric Hoffman wrote:
> In light of all this Doc Type talk, I have a question suited for =
"theory" <grin>
> As we are progressing on the site development for our firm, I have =
followed this validation discussion fairly closely.  For non-profit sites =
I have done, I usually went ahead and validated, yada yada.
>=20
> But here (and forevermore it feels) we use Cold Fusion a lot.  For those =
of you not familiar with the product..it is fabulous.  Anyhoo, it also =
uses it's own tag set in the mark up......my assumption is that it clearly =
won't validate because of the proprietary tags, and at the same time, I =
could not truly use one of the Doc Type statements.=20
>=20
> Thoughts or ruminations?

My understanding of Cold Fusion, however limited it may be, is that the
server parses the HTML file, replaces the "proprietary" tags with whatever
is supposed to go in their place.  I've seen *.cfm pages before and
haven't actually seen any proprietary tags in the source code.  From this
evidence, I think it's perfectly possible to generate valid pages in Cold
Fusion.  Are there any arguments that would say otherwise?

--=20
 -Ryan Fischer <fischer(at)email.unc.edu> ICQ UIN - 595003