Re: Using Images for Links

by virtuous(at)tiac.net

 Date:  Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:03:24 -0500
 To:  Web Design Theory <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi everyone,

I have been reading a lot about how search engines index sites and have
found that several engines will not recognize image links, which could lead
to site subpages not getting indexed on deep, spidering engines.  And in
some cases where the designer relies exclusively on image maps with very
little text, they find the way their site is indexed has little to do with
who they are and what their site is about.  There are some tricks you can
use, but the engines appear to be cracking down on this.  ALT text doesn't
work.  Neither does hidden text, comment text or text defined as the same
color as the background in most cases.

I have been consulting on promotion for a site that is very graphic
intensive.  They don't have any text links, really no text at all except
for the TITLE and comment tags, and can't understand why the spiders aren't
crawling their site and why their site is "being indexed wrong".  Anyone
have suggestions for a client who really doesn"t want to change the way the
site looks?

Noreen Whysel