Re: Using Images for Links

by virtuous(at)tiac.net

 Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:24:34 -0500
 To:  Web Design Theory <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi all,

First I wanted to thank you for your suggestions.  This turned out to be
pretty lively topic.

Figment wrote:

> I want to jump in here and say that, in my case, I actually tend to use
> Excite more than I use any of the others (Yahoo being second).  My
> confession is that I don't really understand how Excite indexes, but I do
> know that it usually gives me the exact results I'm looking for.
>
> If I'm searching for something on, say, animated gifs, or antique jewelry,
> I'll put a search in Yahoo, because I'm pretty sure there will be a
> category for the subject.

If you are looking in Excite's category listings aren't those sites
"approved" by Excite anyway.  So of course you find appropriate sites.  But
if Excite didn't list another more appropriate site, you may have missed a
lot of information, no?

>I checked the first page and it has no meta tags or invisible
> text, so I'm guessing Excite indexes the whole page.

Sometimes it just seems like blind luck when a site without any META tags
hit the top pages.  It depends on the engine, but it seems having the
search term in the title or URL, subdirectory, can very powerful.  I did a
search recently and found the top ten sites all had my search phrase in the
title and somewhere in the URL, while the top three didn't use META tags.
I suspected that some of these sites had created a special entry page for
this engine.

Noreen

--

Simone, Noreen & Brett Whysel