Re: Keyword effectiveness

by ally(at)netspace.net.au

 Date:  Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:04:11 +1000
 To:  "Steve Granter" <sgranter(at)glinx.com>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Mark Mckenzie wrote:
>
>The client is an independent rock band. I have suggested such things as
>reciprocal linking and a webring or two. Also, I think a better strategy for
>keywords would be to use band names that have a similar musical sound, and
>who are influences of the band who I am currently designing for. That way,
>they could draw potential visitors from the fanbase of more well-known
>bands.

Not a good idea. Doing this is ILLEGAL. I am aware of at least one case in
the US (in a high-ranking court) where a company was found to be in breach
of copyright because they included similar companies' names in their META
tag (under 'keywords'). The company (I can't remember who they are) had to
pay up to those they had victimised.

If your client's site contains information pertaining to the other bands,
then your use of their names in the META tag would be considered fair use,
but if the keywords' only purpose to draw on the other bands' fan base,
then you are opening yourself up to legal action from the 'victimised'
bands.

Sorry to be a 'stick-in-the-mud'.

/\lly