Re: Animation on a website

by Jeff Foust <jfoust(at)MIT.EDU>

 Date:  Sat, 4 Apr 1998 20:39:04 -0500
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I'm the type of
>person who doesn't like to use ALT tags in IMG for people who have
>non-graphical browsers, because if they are shut off completely from
>this aspect of the web, they will eventually feel compelled to upgrade
>their browsing technology.

No matter how often the visually impaired upgrade their browsers,
they will still not be able to see your images, hence making ALT
content critical.

>I think people like my friend are missing 99%
>of the idea of the WWW. After all, it was created to make information
>more accessible AND better looking.

"The world-wide web is conceived as a seamless world in which ALL information,
from any source, can be accessed in a consistent and simple way."
  -- Tim Berners-Lee, circa 1991-1992.
     (reference: http://www.w3.org/Talks/General/Concepts.html)

I see nothing there about the Web being created to make information
"better looking" (although one can debate that data presented in a
consistent and simple way _do_ look better :).

Jeff Foust
jfoust(at)mit.edu
http://reudi.mit.edu/