Re: Using pre-made graphics

by Shasta Willson <shasta(at)1soft.com>

 Date:  Thu, 4 Dec 1997 13:16:07 -0800
 To:  Aidan <aidan77(at)rocketmail.com>,
hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>wow, these responses are sure not what i expected.  Come
>on people, I know the web aint very good for copyrighting
>material.  there is no legal action anyone is going to
>take if I use a image that they claim to be their own.
>get realistic here.  I simply wanted to know what you all
>thought about taking a button, or background or something,
>and editing it a bit, and then using it.  no different
>than clipart.  duh.

I'm in shock!  I was feeling rather sorry for the person who put themselves
in the way of this feedback, and also very impressed with how restrained
the list is being.  For the most part, very polite, so far.

Mr. Aidan, I don't think you've been reading these responses very
carefully.  You asked what we think.  And it appears most of us think it's
despicable to steal someone's work.  That's your answer.  I wouldn't be
suprised if the answers you start getting are not quite so polite.

And to add to the legal responses, since the web IS rather unstructured
legally, I would not be at all suprised if you're opening your client up to
legal action as well.  Better clear that possibility with them.

As for not being able to prove it, there is software that watermarks your
images digitally.  They claim the "watermark" is still dicernable by the
software after printing and re-scanning.  There is still the issue of
catching you, but come to think of it, you've just advertised yourself as a
potential thief to a large part of the html community.  Ain't technology
astonishing!

--
Shasta Willson
Web Maven