Re: Opening new window?

by "Daren C. Robbins" <dcr(at)nextw3.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:15:17 -0700
 To:  xtreme(at)mail.com,
XpertWeb(at)CyberServices.com
 Cc:  "hwg-theory" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
example.com/cgi-bin/ngadclient.cgi?event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=193&RunID=5689&
AdID=1429&Redirect=http:%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fautofinder%2F

What you said isn't how any banner advert I've ever seen works. Generally
the location of the referring document is stored in the URI of the banner
ad. Also, in many cases, the HTTP_REFERER header remains intact even when
you open the link in a new window. If what you described where reality,
ad-based online income would be so flakey no one would use it.

More to the point however: when the options available are to either have
the person leave the site, or to have them see a new link in a new window,
I'd rather have them see it in a new window. Using target="_blank" of
course; JS window.open's without the usual browser window elements, in a
word, suck.

--
Daren C. Robbins | NEXT W3 Internet Services / Web Development
  dcr(at)nextw3.com | 916.457.2242 / http://www.nextw3.com