Re: Flash, Glitz, Images Off

by Jeff Foust <jfoust(at)MIT.EDU>

 Date:  Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:44:15 -0400
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>My point if "most of the population" dosen't like new technology why am I
>making so much cash developing Web pages for them?

I suspect that you're not making Web pages for "most of the population" but
rather for a set of clients (unless you're making much more cash than we
think!).  Have you evaluated the success of the sites you've designed?
Have they met the goals of your clients by increasing sales, driving
traffic, increasing brand awareness, etc.?  Part of that success rests
with the promotion of the site done by the client (even the best-designed
site is a commercial failure of no one uses it), but much of that success
depends on the design of the site.

>Why does a fourth( ? can't
>remember the exact #) of the american population have a computer in there
>home's

The better question to ask is why the rest of the American population
still do not have home computers.  If the answer is that they're too
expensive (almost certainly true for a substantial fraction), then the
"problem" of getting people to upgrade hardware and software will continue
for the foreseeable future...

Jeff Foust
jfoust(at)mit.edu
http://reudi.mit.edu/