Re: Using pre-made graphics

by Moe Rubenzahl <mrubenzahl(at)videonics.com>

 Date:  Thu, 4 Dec 1997 15:37:08 -0800
 To:  Aidan <aidan77(at)rocketmail.com>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> wow, these responses are sure not what i expected.

Of course not. You wanted folks to tell you it's okay, didn't you?

> there is no legal action anyone is going to
> take if I use a image that they claim to be their own.

Maybe.

You seem to be caught up in a common confusion -- the differences between
what's legal vs. whether you'll get caught and have to pay a consequence.

You're ignoring the most important one of all: What's right?

You have to ask yourself: "What's my price?" Steal a candy bar, cheat on
your taxes, throw a paper cup out the window. What kind of person are you?
Is that kind of discourtesy worth it to you? Do you want to be the kind of
person who looks out for his world and tries to make it a better place, or
are you just looking to get all you can for yourself? Only you can answer
those questions for yourself.

You are apparently young. But regardless of your age, hopefully you will
listen to everyone's responses and use them to help you grow. I mean,
really LISTEN, not just for what you want to hear. After you have really
heard everyone, then make up your own mind based on who you are at heart.

> ...taking a button, or background or something,
> and editing it a bit, and then using it.  no different
> than clipart.  duh.

Not true. Your legal understanding is flawed. And, in my opinion and the
opinion of most of those who responded, it's not the same morally or
ethically.

The chances are that yes, you can probably get away with it. Probably.

If you want to cheat, that is your choice.  But if you do, don't play that
immature game of pretending it is legal and right. Do what you do and tell
the truth about it.