Re: What I need from XML

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Sun, 19 Mar 2000 05:43:16 -0500
 To:  "XML LIST" <hwg-xml(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>>>I've studied the basic elements of XML and I think it may be the answer
but have yet to learn how I can put the different sites together once the
database is created.<<<

I just did a small site for a mortgage company the included a Perl utility
that allows him to update the text content of his own pages at will.  It
sounds as though you may have a similar need.

Essentially, you keep the data for the page in an XML file.  Images, text,
etc...all neatly packaged inside their little tags. Then, make an HTML
template for the site that will provide a standard contained for every page.
Finally, make additional templates as necessary for each browser.

The templates hold empty tagsets that match the tags of the data you want in
this particular version of the page.  There are various ways to play with
this...I build a Perl XML parser that I use to hash the data.

Now, you need a script...probably Perl...that will sniff incoming browsers.
It will select the template based on that sniff, and fill it with the data
as necessary.  Make some doorways for the search engines, and integrate your
ecomm system, and you are good to go...:).

One of the nice things about this system is that you can do the whole thing
with very common Open Source tools, so your expenses include the cost of
hosting on a virtual server with the proper tools, and the time you put into
learning.