Re: namespace

by "David Meadows" <david(at)heroes.force9.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 3 Oct 2000 22:02:58 +0100
 To:  "Christopher Higgs" <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>,
<hwg-xml(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
"Christopher Higgs" <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> At 19:25 29/09/00 +0100, you wrote:
> >I have to confess that I don't know much about Namespace, as it relates
> >XML. Can you give me (or point me to) a 10-minute guide?
>
> The idea of a namespace is that, rather than reinvent the wheel, you can
> "borrow" elements and syntax from a different DTD and incorporate them
> directly within your XML file.  The Namespace pointer (xmlns) references a
> unique URI that should describes the XML-based language from which the
> vocabulary is borrowed, thus maintaining the semantics of that language.

Thanks, that pretty much what I thought it was. Importing parts of another
DTD is a good idea: it's efficient and can result in more standardisation if
done properly. But you're still using a valid DTD (or combination thereof),
therefore your XML document validates.

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)heroes.force9.co.uk

"My empire is of the imagination." -- Henry Rider Haggard