Re: Introduction

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:11:01 -0400
 To:  "Phil Stanley" <pstanley(at)carolina.rr.com>,
<hwg-xml(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Phil,

actually I know you probably know the answers to all these, but they are
good questions and worth archiving!

> being what will be the winning style sheet?  CSS or XSL?

anyones guess!

actually they are quite different. CSS will decorate an XML parse tree, XSL
caries out a transformation ann THEN decorates the tree.

I would like to use XML for EDI

Then go ahead and use it! The pieces are in place to do this.

> but pulling all the peices together to make it happen is a chore in
itself.

Try ASP and XML

> I am overloaded with terms like SAX, DOM, DTD, XML Schema, CCS, XSL, XQL,
> DCOM, COM and many more!

SAX

a Simple Api for Xml

Document Object Model. A common API for tree structured documents. the
current rec is DOM level 1, but level 2 is on the way.

Fully implemented in IE5. Both the ADO "Microsoft.XMLDOM" and the DSO
support the DOM

DTD: -  Document Type Definition: - a schema that outlines the stucture and
content model of an XML document.

XML: -  Duh...!

XML Schema : - An alternative to the DTD marked up as XML. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/

CSS: -  Cascading Style sheets. to link a style sheet to an XML document
see:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet

XSL: -  A styling language that also carries out transformations on the XML
tree. See both
http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xslt
http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl

DCOM, COM  See; -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/tools/xmlparser/xmlparser.asp

to obtain the MSXML dll to use as a common object model

Frank