Re: how'd they do that?

by "David Meadows" <david(at)heroes.force9.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 17 Mar 2001 01:17:22 -0000
 To:  "Hwg-Xml@Hwg. Org" <hwg-xml(at)hwg.org>,
"Tamara Abbey" <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
"Tamara Abbey" <tamara(at)abbeyink.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I ran across this yesterday and I'm still scratching my head:
>
> http://www.nmghl.org/
>
> then click on one of the stats (eg http://www.nmghl.org/ban2.html)
>
> I looked at the source and it's an MS schema transferred from Excel??
>
> Plus, I'm viewing it on NN 4.5 -- umm, huh?
>
> Kynn? Chris? anyone?

Can I be "anyone"? ;-)

There's no trick. The XML used in Office 2000 is very close to HTML. If you
look closely at the source, all the elements are equivalent to HTML
elements. It's just table mark up. There are some attributes which NN won't
understand, but they aren't essential to the display and browsers just
ignore what they don't understand. And NN 4.5 never looks at the DTD anyway.

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)heroes.force9.co.uk

"We weren't lost at all, were we? Not where it counted. Inside."
     -- Garth Ranzz