RE: Anyone using XSLT? Anyone interested?

by Mark Stradling <mark.stradling(at)blueberry.net>

 Date:  Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:50:05 +0100
 To:  "'KathyW'" <kathyw(at)home.albury.net.au>,
hwg-xml(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> It sounds cool alright ... but I'm a bit concerned it may be too
> pie-in-the-sky, particularly from the authoring end. If
> Dreamweaver, HomeSite,
> FrontPage, ColdFusion et al ad nauseum don't support it, many
> authors won't use
> it. WAP is in strife in Europe, WebTV has not taken off as
> the marketers had
> hoped, phones are virtually useless as web-enabled devices
> etc. I'm concerned
> there won't be more than niche market appeal. Still, it
> really is a cool
> concept - please keep the list posted.

Humm, Well ColdFusion Studio (and I assume Homesite) both support WML and
hence XML.  So does the latest version of Dreamweaver.

Since HTML is (theoretically) being replaced by XHTML all of the leading
authoring tools will have to support XML to stay at the top.

The ColdFusion language it's self IS XML, but loose (ie you CAN close all
tags XML style, but it will let you get away with out closing some tags).

The Allaire Spectra product (the people who gave us ColdFusion) is written
in ColdFusion and is almost pure XML.  All data is stored in a database as
WDDX (Web something Data Exchange) format, which is XML, yada, yada, yada.

WAP is only in strife in Europe because, well because it's a bit crap and
has been over sold by mobile telecoms providers.  Here in the UK one of the
largest cell providers, BTCellnet have TV ads of a little man surfing
through a rich graphical world when the phone user switches their phone on -
doesn't remind me of using my WAP phone!

Over in Japan they didn't cell i-Mode (which uses the CHTML subset of the
HTML language) as the PC Internet on a cell phone so everyone is happy.  OK,
so this is helped by the fact that PC Internet take-up has been snail like
due to high land line call charges so mobile access is most users first
experience of the net, but that's going off topic.

WebTV, well it just sucks and everyone seems to have abandoned it in favour
of iTV.

And let us not forget Project Gutenberg, which is marking up books as XML
thanks to the HWG.

Mark Stradling

HWG hwg-xml mailing list archives, maintained by Webmasters