RE: Images & mouseovers

by Mark Stradling <mark.stradling(at)blueberry.net>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:32:13 +0100
 To:  hwg-xml(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think we are mistaking 'don't have to have a DTD' for 'shouldn't have =
DTD'.

Although you CAN use XML without a DTD, that doesn't mean it's =
recommended,
best practice or even a good idea.

DTD-less XML can only be checked for well formedness, not for validity =
so
you can type any old cack you like, so long as it's inside <> tags, tag
cases match and your attributes are quoted.

When this reaches someone's backend system, which is expecting an XML =
packet
with a specific structure (a web site order for example, with billing =
and
shipping details, and order item details as I use on one website) it's =
no
use to anyone.

As palavras n=E3o significam nada a menos que voc=EA souber que =
l=EDngua voc=EA est=E1
usando.

Or (for the non Portuguese speakers)

Words mean nothing unless you know what language you are using.

And the DTD lets you know what language someone's XML is speaking and =
if
their grammar is correct.

Well that's my opinion.

Yours,

Mark Stradling

HWG hwg-xml mailing list archives, maintained by Webmasters