Re: Newbie trying to assess current XML capabilities

by Juan Lanus <jlanus(at)interar.com.ar>

 Date:  Mon, 04 Jun 2001 10:27:43 -0300
 To:  Paul Adelson <cocoabean(at)mindspring.com>
 Cc:  hwg-xml(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Paul:

Thank you.

What I imagine as a possible XML support is to be able to send the XML
directly to the browser with a META tag or so stating the URL of the
appropriate XSL file somewhere in the 'net so the browser does the merge
of both files, generating the HTML it consumes.

As of the server, I use IBM's DB2 as my preferred database motor. DB2
has the ability, since a couple years ago, to SELECT relational data and
render it in XML format, or to store XML text in a single relational
column and being able to process the individual finds defined there.

I have read that XML is a nasty data storage method,, but it shines when
communicating between disparate or similar systems.

In my opinion XML is good to store small amounts of data. For example, I
see a growing breed of programs that store their configuration in XML
files (and not in the infamous fragile Windows registry).

Saludos!
--
Juan Lanus
TECNOSOL

Paul Adelson wrote:

> I've probably come at this from an unusual angle, since the the first time I spoke
> with someone about XML they were trying to figure out how to use XML on the client
> side -- I no longer recall the details.
>
> However, as the name implies, XML documents can be thought of as documents as well as
> XML. MSIE 5, for instance, supports viewing XML on the client.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/intranet/xmlcomp.asp?a=printable
>
>  -- Paul
>
> Juan Lanus wrote:
>

>> Hi, Paul:
>> When you write that XML "isn't well supported by browsers at this
>> point", what do you mean?
>> As I think of XML as a server-side tool, I can't imagine how can a
>> browser support it. I'd like very much if you can describe such support,
>> or enumarate it's posibilities.
>> As I see it, I don't send XML to browser but transformed into HTML.
>> TIA
>> --
>> Juan Lanus
>> TECNOSOL
>>
>> Paul Adelson wrote:
>>

>>> Keith,
>>>
>>> Keeping XML on the server side (as you do with Coldfusion and ASP) can enable
>>> you to get around one of XML's key limits: the fact that it isn't well
>>> supported by browsers at this point.
>>>
>>> The company I work for is using XML to provide web-based real-time financial
>>> info to customers. XML provides the common back-end data language.
>>>
>>> For instance, the data usually comes from our primary service provider's
>>> Informix database (via a secure internet connection). But when there's a
>>> problem accessing that server we get backup data from a Sybase database on a
>>> different server. At the presentation end (HTML generation via Coldfusion, JSP,
>>> or whatever), there is no need to worry about differences between Sybase and
>>> Informix (or Oracle or SQL Server or flat file), etc. as long as everyone
>>> structures their data consistently in their XML output.
>>>
>>> hth,
>>>  -- Paul

HWG hwg-xml mailing list archives, maintained by Webmasters