Re: XHTML 1.0 validator at W3C

by Jesse Houwing <j.houwing(at)student.utwente.nl>

 Date:  Thu, 04 Oct 2001 01:41:04 +0200
 To:  Joshua Graham <JoshuaGraham(at)grahamis.com>
 Cc:  hwg-xml(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Joshua Graham wrote:

>I'm surprised that the "br" element is part of the Strict DTD then, as it's
>surely presentation markup.
>
>I tried to see if it was discussed in the HTML list at w3c but their search
>wasn't working. Does anyone know why it was included or an argument as to
>how it's somehow semantic and not for just presentation purposes?

You could have written the above text as follows (note the missing empty
line) :

>I'm surprised that the "br" element is part of the Strict DTD then, as it's
>surely presentation markup.
>I tried to see if it was discussed in the HTML list at w3c but their search
>wasn't working. Does anyone know why it was included or an argument as to
>how it's somehow semantic and not for just presentation purposes?

In that case you would've used the <br> instead if the <P> to show that
not a new paragraph but a new subsection of you current paragraph has
started.

I know it is possible to do this with some stylesheet work, but the <br>
would be the right piece of code to use.

Jesse

HWG hwg-xml mailing list archives, maintained by Webmasters