XML + PHP

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:39:33 -0600
 To:  "Mark Flint" <mflint(at)ce.mediaone.net>,
<hwg-xml(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:58 AM 3/14/01 -0600, Mark Flint wrote:
>Friends of XML:
>
>It is getting too quiet in here again.  Does anyone have any questions or
>things they were wondering about that the more experienced among us could
>answer?  No question is too "basic" or "silly" or "dumb".  If I don't know,
>I'll look it up or someone else might know.
>
>I'm just trying to keep the "conversation" thread going.  :-)

O.k., Mark,

I'll bite -- I'm currently learning PHP/MySQL and the first problem that
came up is the use of short tags in php.

That is, a php statement begins with <?

Which also happens to be the way the XML declaration begins. So, when I
started converting a web site to XHTML/PHP, I kept getting parse errors.

Now, eventually, XML /will/ be my database? I won't need to store stuff in
a db and then query it since the XML DTD will pre-define the markup so if I
want to find all the headlines, I'll just query the XML for tags that have
headline?

But, in the meantime, what can I do with XML (I'm on lesson 1 over at
W3Schools.com) since browser support is still lacking and the opening
declaration chokes my server?

I've been using XHTML 1.0 trans and it validates without the <?xml ?> at
the top, but why/how can I take the next step??

~Tamara

HWG hwg-xml mailing list archives, maintained by Webmasters