Re: I've read too much about XML that I've managed to confuse myself - someone help me!

by Simon Wickes <netlists(at)email.com>

 Date:  Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:39:48 -0400
 To:  Mark Stradling <mark.stradling(at)blueberry.net>,
"HWG XML List (E-mail)" <hwg-xml(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I know that XML is case sensitive, that <bob></bob>, <BOB></BOB> and
><BoB></BoB> are all considered different tags in XML, but are there any
>requirements to use lower case?

Not really, but it keeps your life simpler to be consistent.
The only *real* lower case requirement is in the processing instruction
which goes (optionally) at the start:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

The xml should be lower case.

>I guess this is actually more a question of are DTD's case sensitive, as if
>you define your tags in upper case in the DTD you would have to use them in
>upper case in the XML for the XML to be valid.

Correct.

>So is tag case specified by standards, or just a matter of developer
>preference (as with the case of HMTL tags?

The tag case is not specified, you can use either one, but be consistent.

The reason for doing this is to enable support for all of the other
language character sets around the world.

Simon

----
Simon Wickes
New Jersey, USA

HWG hwg-xml mailing list archives, maintained by Webmasters