RE: More fuss over punk-U-way-shun.

by "Deb Campbell" <dmcampbell(at)astpcola.com>

 Date:  Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:28:14 -0500
 To:  "Gardenia Willoughby" <gardenia(at)mac.com>,
"Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Two periods ending one sentence ... hmmm ... nah, there is only one period
per customer... oops -- sentence.  According to "The Elements of Grammar,"
Jane Doe would have said, "Hi, there."

The example in the book for a partial quote is as follows:
All my broker will say is that "it's just too early to spot a trend." (By
the way, you might have noticed that there is no comma before the opening
quotation mark.) Another example: One witness said the explosion lit up the
predawn sky "like a doggone sunset."

Regardless of whether it is used in a partial or complete sentence, a period
is always placed inside quotation marks; a semicolon (or a colon) is placed
outside (EX -- taken from "The Elements of Grammar": We called him "Lucky";
he preferred "Lawrence.").

Deb