Re: webmastertimetable

by "Tom Duquette" <trduquette(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:06:04 -0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello,
I'm not sure if I have your direct answer but maybe this will help.
I use several rules of thumb here so let's go. Under ideal conditons it
usually takes 1.5 seconds to transfer 10K of data at 56K. Normally doubling
this time for 28K connection speeds and quadrupling for (heaven forbid) 14K
speeds. Of course when you look at the unpredictability of network traffic
and how that might effect actual load transfer speeds, well your guess is as
good as mine.
As for myself, Homesite is a wonderful tool for this in that it will
determine the documents weight and give you an estimated download speed at
14K, 28K and 56K modem speeds.
As to the 9 second figure you mention I seem to recall reading a few
articles that (based on there studies) most people will only wait 8 or 9
seconds for a page to load before moving on. I must admit that this is true
for my own surfing habits as well. Depending on the type of site this of
coarse will vary. If I am trying to buy a camera or looking for information
this is true. But, if I am waiting for a picture of my family reunion at one
of my families personal sites hey I am going to wait.
So if it's buisness make it quick. I do believe such sites as microsoft have
adopted a page limit of around  65K for this very reason.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Tom Duquette
trduquette(at)yahoo.com