Re: original artwork and safe colours

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 4 Aug 1999 13:38:22 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Susan:

Produce your images in your favorite digital
camera/scanner/application using "true color" or "16 million
colors" and them save them as .jpg's. When you save them, it is
best to keep them as small as you can and also, "reduce" the file
size using compression. Just as a start I would suggest about 50%
compression.

If you go too far and the image degrades, just go back to the
original image and re-save it with less compression.

The 216 colors often tossed about as "web safe" only works well
for HTML and drawings saved as .gif's. There is simply not enough
colors for any photo reproduction.

You can use many different programs to compress .jpg's. For
example, if you have FrontPage, the free image program that comes
with it, (Image composer), will do a nice job. All major
bitmapped type programs will do this and there are several small
applets such as Ulead's SmartSaver.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com

>I would like to produce graphics for my web site using original
watercolour
>illustrations.   What happens to ranges of colours that do not
match the web
>safe palette?
>
>Would it make sense to obtain a web safe colour chart and try to
match
>colours using my watercolour paints?  Guess I'm looking for any
tips or
>comments on producing artwork in traditional media for the
internet.