Re: OS platforms-mac vs.windows

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:28:18 -0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Greg:

No sooner asked for than done. See MS Publisher 2000.

As a matter of fact, from MS Publisher 97 on, there has been a
limited amount of pre-press export capability, including
Postscript. It is part of the "print to file" output.

However, one must keep in mind that thousands of small print
shops rarely do anything but b/w -- or -- on occasion, two or
three, "spot color" printing and MS Publisher has been able to do
this, (with the objects created in MS Pub), for the last few
versions.

Also, as I recall, I said MS Pub was for "less than high-end"
work.

In fact, though we have "high end" programs like Canvas, we often
take advantage of the neat automatic features of MS Pub to
quickly create simple b/w magazines of up to 48 or so pages.

Many of these small shops use what is politely called "manual
color separations". This is where you take advantage of the
"Print Selected Objects Only" or save the work under different
names for each color and go in and delete unwanted elements.

Of course, this is done with many applications, not just MS
Publisher.

But--I am assuming you are talking about full "four color
process" and yes--this is now possible in MS Publisher 2000.
(Granted, we have not personally bought the new version and tried
it--yet.)

And finally--it would seem this topic is a little out of place
for HWG but as we certainly do a lot of "art work for printing",
for our web clients, it is quite likely that others on the list,
do the same.

So--just like many of the other inexpensive or free applications
we all use, one should not poo-poo MS Pub. It can be very handy
even for our business forms and brochures we all need to create.
And how many of the web designers or producers want to spend the
money for Quark Express just to create a brochure or flyer.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>> Having had some little experience in "publishing" I can relate
>> that many still feel that Mac is "the" platform in the
publishing
>> world. Yet many high end pre-press houses tell me it is now
about
>> 50-50 or even a little in the PC's favor. However--For less
than
>> high end publishing, there is no contest. The 89 dollar
Windows
>> MS Publisher application is used for more publishing work than
>> every other piece of software combined.
>
>Yes, and it also causes more headaches and overtime for prepress
>pros than all other software packages combined too.  If
Micro$oft