Re: Form Textarea question

by "Tim Rivera" <lists(at)timrivera.com>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:18:24 -0500
 To:  "HWG Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Is there anyway to have a forms <TEXTAREA> recognize a line break.
> So when a user presses enter an actual line break shows up when it is
> displayed. As it is now, it is just one long line.

Is this being displayed in an email sent to you, or directly on a web page?
The hard return should be treated as a line break, but if the text is being
displayed on a web page the hard return is treated as white space. View the
source codes to verify.

The first thing that comes to my mind is wrap the output with 'PRE'. This
may be useful if the output is only short lines of text, as the text would
not wrap inside 'PRE' tags. However, with my experience with a journal
website, I know that you could turn hard returns into <br> or <p> (this
particular site uses ASP.)

Tim