RE: Last Question, I Promise!

by "Kali Woodbridge" <kaliajer(at)mail.com>

 Date:  Fri, 31 Dec 1999 08:56:07 -0600
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>the Back and Forward buttons are the most used buttons on the
>Internet, and you want to remove them??
>(end snip from Jim Polk responding to Gwen Harrison)

Sometime you want a pop-up window to convey information (suggestions for
navigation on a game site, for example)or collect information (such as an
e-mail address). It is not in a sequence of pages per se, so the "back" and
"forward" linear aspects don't apply. It has to have a "close" button
somewhere. I don't think of it as forcing anybody to "do", or "not do"
anything. Opening a new window with JavaScript is the only way I know of to
control what shows and doesn't show on the various browser navigation bars.

Disabling/enabling the browser navigation bar in a secondary window should
be done for a reason, preferably after all other options for a desired
result have been explored and tossed. If all you want to do is force a new
path from the first choice, have your choices open in a new window. Most
users will not know the difference and will have no problem. Those that DO
know what is going on and want to follow both options (some WILL, you know)
will go back to the original window and take choice "B."

There's skatey-eight ways to do most things. This was just 2.

kali
kaliajer(at)mail.com