RE: GIFs vs JPEGs

by "Gary Bonham" <Gary(at)BonhamDesigns.com>

 Date:  Tue, 5 Oct 1999 16:51:15 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I don't recall the original post to which you are referring.
GIFs and JPGs each have their own places. If you have 256 or fewer
colors, GIFs will normally be smaller (in my experience - although
it depends on the quality setting for the JPG), plus GIFs are lossless
meaning they don't get the funny artifacts that you see in JPG files.
This is important for crisp text, etc. However, for photographic
images, JPG is by far the best, due to the fact that it can handle the
range of colors, plus the artifacts in JPG don't really show up much
within photographs, where the colors and intensities tend to be
smoother variations and not hard changes. Of course, there is also
the obvious thing that GIFs can support animation, if desired.
My personal preference is to use GIF so long as the colors are
sufficient, although each image must be considered individually.
Any images with crisp edges will suffer under JPG.

Gary