Re: color in netscape vs. IE

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:30:57 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thomas, Sandy and all ....

On one of the newsgroups at Microsoft, this subject came up. The bottom line
of the discussion was that Netscape and IE talked to the Video Cards in a
different manner and there would always be a chance of slight color
variations.

Apparently, this effect is more likely to show up on monitors set to display
the FEWEST colors. 256 for example.

I have one of Microsoft's free toys installed to change monitor resolution
with just a mouse click. (I understand that it is now part of Windows 98)

I just played with it a bit and found no change between the two browsers,
(IE-5 and NN-4.7) at either 640x480 or 800x600 using either "Hi-Color (16
bit) or "True Color" (32 bit).

And sure enough, when set for 256 colors, there was a slight color shift at
800x600 and a more visible one at 640x480.

I am running a slightly long in the tooth, homebuilt Intel Pentium II - 166
MMX with 64 megs. The video card however, is a "dime store" pot metal thing,
cobbled together from old melted down tootsietoys that my computer buddies
dug out of a junk box.

Have I proved anything?? Don't be silly. It just reinforces our suspicions
that nothing is ever universal in this black art.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net