Re: A question on banner exchange

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:39:03 +0530
 To:  "Basics [HWG]" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
hi sunil

don't wanna burst your bubble but you actually think I'd visit your
site just because you won a "mark of excellence" award? Look around
you... some sites have 20+ awards in their "awards" section.

Your banner doesn't say anything about the content of your site except
the content of maybe the <TITLE> tag? It's a dull banner with no
appeal for me. How many banners do I see in a day? If i remember my
stats right, about 200 in one hour of 'normal' surfing.

Then you have the long URL in the banner. Personally, I prefer not to
go to any Geocities site because of their stupid pop-up window. Not
unless I Must (with a capital M). I could be part of a larger group of
people of same mentality. So, it could help if you removed the URL.

Okay, now that I've brought you down enough, here is what you could do
to improve your banner (repeating some from above):
o  Make it colourful
o  Remove the URL
o  Add something that will make me curious to check out your site.
   This "something" should be content based, not "status" based.
o  Think of adding a backdrop of your eyes of tiger or maybe just the
   general "tiger-pattern"

Best of luck,
[abhay]