RE: how to force browser not to cache image

by "Gary Bonham" <Gary(at)BonhamDesigns.com>

 Date:  Sun, 5 Sep 1999 01:32:13 -0700
 To:  <artdieli(at)earthlink.net>,
"hwg basics list" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Refresh isn't a problem. The cgi calls the code to create the new gif
and then orders a page refresh. Since these are asp pages, and very
complex ones at that, we don't want them to refresh unless necessary.
The only problem we had was that we would do a refresh, but the gif
wouldn't change since it was pulling the image from the cache. We
change the name slightly each time to get around that. It would be
nice to not have to change the name, since the user just gets a lot
of images in his cache which he will never need again, but we haven't
found a way to do this that will work in all browsers, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts. I suppose anyone who has done anything much
at all on the web has a wish list of things they would like to see
implemented in html, browsers, etc. However, it would just be nice if
the things that ARE there would all work - and the same way on all
browsers. If the nocache meta tag would work, then I'd be ok - or at
least I think so if it works the way I would like. Perhaps it DOES
work, but just doesn't apply to gifs, just to the html?? This might
be the case since a refresh doesn't refresh the gifs unless you hold
the shift key down. Oh well!

Gary
http://www.BannerForge.com