Re: Morality and Pirated Software

by "Matthew Ohlman" <matthew(at)ohlman.com>

 Date:  Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:31:48 -0500
 To:  "Martin Clifford" <MLC1(at)nrc.gov>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
<webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have listend in on this topic for a while and think I will make a comment:

>File Sharing sure is illegal, but how can you claim to know it is immoral?
To you it might be.  To others it isn't.  Each person has their own set of
morals that they live by.  There is no "Book of Many Morals to Live By" in
publication, that I know of.

>In short, do NOT push your opinion on other people as absolute truth.  You
don't have that right, and neither does anyone else.

Some people might just say it's "borrowing" it. You can't just say I'm write
and everyone else is wrong. That in it-self could be considered immoral.
I'm not saying yes or no....but please just rember, that everyone has the
right to there own opinion.

Take this into consideration. Let's say you have a recipe book, and your
nieghbor wants your cookie recipe. You take the book and copy the recipe for
them on the copy machine. So, since you took the recipe from the author's
book and copied it for your niegbor is it imorral and wrong?

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with file sharing, and I can see
where your coming from, because I wouldn't want anyone stealing my website,
but (as Martin Said) don't say I'm right and your wrong.

File Sharing sure is illegal, but how can you claim to know it is immoral?
To you it might be.  To others it isn't.  Each person has their own set of
morals that they live by.  There is no "Book of Many Morals to Live By" in
publication, that I know of.

In short, do NOT push your opinion on other people as absolute truth.  You
don't have that right, and neither does anyone else.

Other than that, I agree with the majority of what you had to say.

Martin Clifford
Homepage: http://www.completesource.net
Developer's Forums: http://www.completesource.net/forums/

>>> "Paul Wilson" <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com> 07/22/02 12:20PM >>>

                         File sharing is illegal and immoral - period!